Monday, October 8, 2007

Banned!!!

Not every visit is a good one. On some occasions you are snapped back to the reality that this is not home and that getting comfortable is not an option. They warned us of Peaks and Valleys from the get go, but now that we are here walking around the shadowy vale we are yearing for the mountain peaks once again. Last night we went to visit Verity. Kellee was going to help bathe her again. This time we were warned in the afternoon that it might not be possible because some nurses don't feel comfortable allowing the parent's to scrub their seraphim while they are still on the ventilators (I suppose this was not so much prophetic as it was the day nurse seeing who was coming on for the night shift). But we were reassured that at the very least we would at least be able to watch the scouring.

When we got there we were informed that not only were we not going to join in the festivities, but bath time was already concluded. Nurse Ratchetd knew of our desires to watch our little one during the water torture but was not comfortable with allowing us to participate and I suppose did not want a peanut gallery. Kellee choked back tears...well, for a brief moment and then they flowed freely; maybe she was going to bathe her daughter again anways. Kellee immediately left to go and perform motherly duties, leaving me with in the uncomfortable situation of having to smooth things over.

What I didn't mention was that we also had Faith with us during all of this. It was a last minute decision and no babysitters were available. We didn't think much of it since she was just in there the night before and all went well. On this night however, there were alot more families and Faith was on an energy burst. She had a hard time holding still and was talking at her normal level (about 10 decibles higher than regular voices) which is on par with the rest of the Peery family.

Anyhow, after Kellee stormed out with Faith, the nursestarted sympathetically defending her actions; she then changed the subject. " Has anyone talked with you about your daughter (Faith)?"

" Um...well they had us fill out the consent form." I replied a little uneasy.

"Well yeah, but did they tell you that she was only able to visit once a week."

"No, I never got anything on that."

"OK, well I'll check the policy and see if we have anything in written form I can give you."

Ten minutes later she came back with the form and apologized for being the bearer of bad news. Then she sat in the corner while I read my daughter some Lewis Carroll. It was a wierd feeling the whole time reading thinking that this young nurse was over my shoulder ready to catch me in another folly of standard operating procedure. We went home and patiently waited for the next nurse to come on duty.

Faith was a little saddened that she could not stay and see her sister be bathed and in her quiet thoughts I thought I could hear her sing hear own Version of Bruce Springsteen's Born In the USA. It was somewhat different but just as rebellious:

She was Born down in Upland town
The first look I took was two weeks ago
I had to be washed from head to toe
Half your body is covered up

Banned From the NICU.
Banned From the NICU.
Banned From the NICU.
Banned From the NICU.

I got in a little Hospital jam
And so they took the visitor's card from my hands
Sent me off to the waiting room
To go and read a magazine

Banned From the NICU.
Banned From the NICU.
Banned From the NICU.
Banned From the NICU.


Come back home to Fontucky
Mama says "Girl if it was up to me"
I go down to see the Doctor man
He said "Girl don't you understand"

Banned From the NICU.
Banned From the NICU.
Banned From the NICU.
Banned From the NICU.


I have some buddies at FBC
They put me on the Tire Swing
I'm still here, They're all gone
I have a little sister born three weeks ago
I got a picture of her in my arms

Down in the shadow of the Infirmary
Out by the Ventilators of the medical wing
I'm Three years old
Nowhere to run, ain't got nowhere to go

I'm a long gone Sister of the NICU
Banned From the NICU.
I'm a cool rocking Sister of the NICU.

Banned From the NICU.

2 comments:

contrarian 78 said...

UCIMC never let people under 18 into the NICU, at least as of 7 years ago.

Unknown said...

I love it!

Thanks again,
Aunt Kim

PS: We have always referred to the Peery's as "The Loud Family." We should send a video to SNL.