Thursday, December 20, 2007

Almost There

Last night we did our infant CPR Class- I am now confident that I can pound on my child with the best of them! One strange thing was that the babies dummies we practiced on were about 5x the size of our daughter. They looked like the Jolly Green Giants kids! This is a required class that we need to take in order to bring Verity home. To be honest it's a little weird knowning that I might need to use the CPR on my kids. It's better to be prepared and not need it than vice versa, I suppose.

Verity has passed her all her other test as well. She passed the Car Seat Test; this is where they place her in the car seat to see if she can still breathe well in the position the car seat puts her in.

She also had her Pneumagram (sp?) test, which is a sleep study test. Now to be honset I was sort of hoping that she might fail this test! Because if she failed then she would have to come home with a monitor to keep tabs on how she is breathing. I think my philosophy is that all children under the age of 2 should have monitors on them. Maybe all introduce this as a law.

They told us that we would feel this way, I mean when your child has been on a monitor since birth you get accoustomed to the safety and security that it brings. It's like a linus Safety Blanket.

A couple nights ago Kellee stayed at the hospital to get a general idea of how life would be outside within the safety of the hospital. It was basically a dry run. I was suppose to participate but I've been sick for the past couple days so they told me that I couldn't join in the fun.


Verity is very close to the 4 lbs wieght that would be the minimum for her to leave the hospital.


Most of the staff has been telling us that it looks like she will be coming home this week. Today, However Kellee woke up sick with whatever I have! Is this not amazing! We haven't been sick throughout Verity's whole time in the Hospital, but now that we are so close to bringing her home we are both out of commission. So who knows we might have to wait another week.


Regarding my previous post, once we bring our daughter home we will most likely integrate all her updates into our Family Blog: The Eternal Sunshine of the Nelson Mind. We basically did the same thing with Faith when we brought her home from Russia. So, keep your eyes on that blog. All put out another post when that time comes though.


3 comments:

contrarian 78 said...

Passing a Pneumogram test is a very important thing to have happen-regarding monitors, they have to be justifiable to your insurance family, and if Verity is stable in terms of her breathing system, it's not justifiable.

I guess the thing to really focus on is how everything you've experienced with monitors, lines, and tubes is what is NOT normal for Verity, and that hopefully soon all of those things will be gone. They are necessary evils that I hope become gone, and gone as soon as possible.

It reminds me of the movie Nightmare Before Christmas--having the Halloween standard of celebration produced a strange macabre Christmas. Life in the NICU can make black seem white and white seem black.

About being sure every child under age 2 is breathing, maybe you could prevent something like SIDS by doing so, but it's prohibitively expensive. And ultimately, there is something about life and its preciousness and fragility (and perhaps my sense of concern), where worrying about it is almost inevitable. I almost always feel a huge sense of relief when I check to see that Jonathan at age 7 is still breathing at night.

Starrs In Denver said...

I'll be praying that you both are fully healthy asap. We are so excited that you are gonna get that girly home soon :D

Yeah, I still think about all four of mine while they sleep (are they breathing?) -and all four of mine slept on their tummies- don't tell- as babies. When I think those thoughts I turn them into prayers. I know it will be quite the transition, but also trust that God will give you the energy, wisdom and guidance that you'll need.
~Rose

abigail grace said...

We were with Jason's family today they were asking how Verity is doing. I gave them an update and I was telling his aunt Janette about how you were concerned about verity coming home without a monitor. She works in the NICU and she said if families are nervous about the home coming, that she always recommends them renting a monitor from medical supply stores she said they are not to expensive to rent and it can help give you a little more confidence and peace of mind for the first couple of weeks at home. You might want to look into it. Yes, eventualy you will have to be like the rest of us and check on her (sorry to tell you but that feelig never goes away, I don't know any parent who doesn't occasionaly watch their child sleep and just check to see if all is well) but if this would help out for awhile until she gets a little bigger...why not.